Thursday, March 18, 2010

Brunei, Singapore and Bali

Since my last post I've visited several countries. I went through the beautiful and interesting, but excruciatingly unexciting country of Brunei. This is a place with no income tax, subsidies for everything and no cost for post-secondary education. It also has some beautiful rainforest because the country's oil money has allowed them to keep the rainforest intact (of course, the debt remains and the interest accumulates). It's also a place where alcohol is outlawed and it effects the overall vibe of the country. Nearly everything shuts down at 10pm, and there is literally nothing to do at night. When I asked the couchsurfer I was with (couchsurfing.com - check it out), he had no answer for what he did at night. "Watch TV or movies" was his answer. Now, of course there are positives to no alcohol: the crime rate is low, violence is unheard of, and I'm sure health care costs are lower per capita than in countries with alcohol. However, is it not possible for clubs, bars, or some kind of establishments to exist without alcohol? My parents always asked "Do you need alcohol to have fun?" After visiting Brunei, I would have to say, "Yes mom, I do, and so does the rest of the country." I don't feel like sitting at home in front of the TV is any more productive than having a few beers with friends on a Friday night. Of course, people in Brunei could read a book, but I could go to the club just to dance - so long as other people are getting drunk...

Singapore was next. If you are in the area, go. It costs a bit more than other places in south-east Asia, but it's really nice. First-world-clean, cutting-edge, nice. The coolest thing I did in this country (besides walking around little India for hours on end) was going to the zoo with another couchsurfer and we happened to stumble upon the tortoises at the exact time of their feeding (just my luck!). For less than $4 CDN I was able to feed 80-year-old tortoises, as well as a few younger ones. Watching their mouths as their soft pink tongues stuck out to pull the apple back in to their beak-like mouth made me feel like a kid at a petting zoo for the first tim; giggling and wide-eyed in amazement of these magnificent creatures. I was then advised to touch, pet and scratch them (particularly under the chin of the biggest one!). The skin on the neck felt dry yet stretchy, while their legs were as hard as rocks. Despite all the rumours about tortoises being immovably slow, they move with great consistency and I can now see why the hare lost the race.

Currently I am in Bali and the Hindu culture has been intoxicating (Bali is the only part of Indonesia that ins't predominantly Muslim). Ornate stone temples with carvings that would take ages are everywhere, and offerings are made throughout the day everywhere I go. The offerings usually consist of several flowers, rice and incense compiled in small boxes made from banana trees. Beautiful for their elegance, simplicity and devotion, they are unlike anything I have seen before. There is also art everywhere, and people continue to greet me with a smile everywhere I go. It is a relaxing and calming atmosphere. I also happened to get into Ubud at the exact time the Spirit Festival began. Apparently this is the biggest single draw to Bali all year, and I happened upon it by dumb-luck. The festival is all about balinese music, dancing and yoga. It's been uplifting to be a part of, and it's definitely good for the soul.

No comments: